World Record

On the 20th February 2004 at 10am, The Grand Boys started the Worlds Longest Concert with the most apt song we could think of: Dedication. Roy would have been proud! We then finished a staggering 42 hours and 38 minutes later.

All proceeds raised went to several charities.

We are not sure if our World Record has ever been broken but the effort was worth it and over £5,000 was raised in the process. We would like to thank everyone who helped us in any way during this attempt back in 2004 in Smith’s Restaurant, Stirling.

Here are the rules of engagement!

  • Recognisable tunes, played to a reasonable standard, must be played throughout the attempt by a band/group of not less than four persons.
  • Apart from pauses lasting no more than 30 seconds between tunes, play must be continuous.
  • Standard instruments, of the type that would normally be used in a band or orchestra, must be used. No ‘self-playing’ instruments, such as electric keyboards, may play solos at any time during the attempt.
  • Each piece of music must last at least two minutes.
  • No piece of music may be repeated in performance within four hours. A play list of all the tunes performed must be maintained.
  • If any member of the band/group retires, the end of their participation must be recorded immediately in the log book.
  • If the number of persons in the band/group falls below four, the attempt is ended.
  • No individual who was not present at the beginning of the attempt may participate at any time in the proceedings.
  • A break of 15 minutes must be taken after every eight hours from the beginning of the event. The person attempting the record must take all toilet breaks during this period.

Delays or breaks owing to unforeseen circumstances, such as injury or severe weather conditions (in the case of outdoor concerts), will be judged on an individual basis.

Our World Record Attempt 2004

General Info

The idea to break the World Record for the longest concert was Bob’s idea: ” The idea came to him one night a few years ago after the band played at a party for 9 hours solid. He had imagined the record would be around 24 hours, and began to have second thoughts when he contacted Guinness World RecordsTM and they informed him the current record was 40 hours! However, he saw it as an excellent way to raise funds for our charities and have the satisfaction of having done something no other band had done (hopefully…!). The rest of the band, and all our friends and supporters were extremely helpful in turning a drunken idea into a reality!”

There were three purposes for the event: to raise as much money as possible for our causes, to break the World Record for the longest concert ever, and to inspire people to play, make or just enjoy music. Music has given us a lot of pleasure over the years, and we hoped that if we play for 48 hours, perhaps other people would manage to play for an hour or two each week!

The Rules

The world record for the longest gig by a band currently stood at 40 hours, set by a band of 20 members in India. The group John Jerome Sangamam played from 21-23 September 2002, at St Montford Indoor Stadium, Mylapore, Chennai, India. The Grand Boys hoped to break this record and set a new world record of 48 hours. The band were allowed 15 minutes break every 8 hours, and must have played continuously with no more than 30 seconds between each song. Each song must have been a recognisable tune, and each member of the band would have to play to some extent in each song. The band would not be allowed to repeat the same song within a 4 hour period. The band would have to consist of 9 members, all of whom must have started at the same time (ie., could make attempt in ‘shifts’). If a member of the band left the stage or did not participate in a song, they would have to retire from the attempt. Four members of the band would have to be standing by the end of the attempt for the record to stand.

The Preparation

The band had been practicing hard for the event since March 2003. We practiced twice a week with the Sunday practice lasting for around 4 hours. In January 2004, we began practicing 3 times per week. Our main drummer, Paul, played in two bands, so he practiced 5 nights a weeks and sometimes played gigs on the sixth. We told him he was a lightweight for taking a day off! :o) We also gigged occasionally on a Saturday night. In between times we tried to sing and play as often as possible, especially the guitarists to harden up their fingers.

We obtained dietary advice from a Nutrition expert, and the band members began eating healthier and cutting down on alcohol and caffeine. Planning what we ate and drink at the Record Attempt would be vital to any chance of success, as we had to sustain our concentration levels for the 48 hours to ensure we started the songs within 30 seconds, and played them to a reasonable standard throughout. The trick was to try and keep our blood glucose levels constant. This also meant no alcohol for the band, which was unheard of at a Grand Boys Gig!!!
Each member of the band could play more than one instrument, so we rotated around playing bass, guitar, drums, etc. This gave fingers a rest from strings (which cut through the skin eventually if played for too long) and bums rests from seats (I was assured by the drummers that playing for long periods was painful on the rear!!). We also had a percussion section.

We tried to minimise risk as much as possible. Guinness World Records TM required us to have Professional Medical Personnel present at all times, 2 witnesses, and stewards to provide water, etc and to keep the log book. We also tried to consider every eventuality, ie. spare guitars, 2 drum kits, spare amplifiers, people to change guitar strings, spare PA, etc, to ensure that the music kept playing for 48 hours!
The Venue

The attempt took place on 20th – 22nd Feb 2004 in the Smiths Restaurant, Kerse Road, Millhall, Stirling FK7 7LR (AKA The Cally) just outside the city centre.

The Success

There were tickets sold for the Friday night, and tickets for the Saturday night. The hall held around 180 people, so there were limited tickets available. People wandered in during the day, but could not stay beyond 6pm without a ticket. The attempt started on the Friday morning 10am, and finished on Sunday morning 2.38am. We had broke the World Record by 2 hours and 38 minutes. We were too tired to celebrate! but we had an amazing feeling of achievement and very proud.